1. Using a USB cable plug your AppleTV in to your Mac/PC and open iTunes.
2. If when restoring your apple tv 2 you get the error 1601 try plugging in the power cable.
3. This may then cause the error 1602 on second restoration.
4. Now unplug the power and restore for a third time, this should now be successful. If your Apple TV 2 won’t boot at this point hold down the menu and play button when plugging in the USB cable.
5. Plug back into your TV and you should be at the setup menu. (When plugging into your tv and turning up your Apple TV may take a couple of minutes to initialise.