Here are a selection of great OS X shortcuts:
cmd + shift + 3 – screenshot
cmd + shift + 3 – cropped screenshot
cmd + shift + 3 then press spacebar will crop the screenshot around the current window
ctrl + cmd + space – full emoji keyboard
cmd + ~ – switches between windows in same application
shift + option when changing volume uses quarter increments
cmd + option + shift + V – paste & match text formatting
cmd + space – shows spotlight
cmd + H – hides active application
cmd + opt + H – hides all windows not in focus
alt + backspace – delete a whole word instead of a letter at a time
control + command + power (eject) – system restart
cmd + shift + i (from a Safari or Chrome) – creates a new email with the URL of the page you were visiting in the body
control + d – replicates the ‘Delete’ key from non-mac keyboards
option + right click on a dock app to show force quit
option + click on wifi icon in menu bar to show wireless speed, strength and other useful details
Thanks to reddit.com/r/apple for some of these.
1. Install HomeBrew
2. Run the following from the terminal:
$ brew install youtube-dl
$ brew install ffmpeg
$ brew install lame
3. Get the URL of the YouTube video
4. At the terminal:
$ youtube-dl http://YouTubeURL
5. The downloaded file will be a .mp4 file, convert it to wav —
$ ffmpeg -i DownloadedFileName.mp4 TargetFileName.wav
6. Finally convert to MP3
$ lame FileName.wav FileName.mp3
To disable inline image attachments in Apple’s mail.app do the following:
1. Open terminal
2. Paste in the following:
defaults write com.apple.mail DisableInlineAttachmentViewing -bool yes
3. Reopen mail.app
If you’re upgrading to Mavericks and don’t want to have to pay for a new Parallels version then you can use the free VirtualBox.
In this scenario I’m going from Parallels 4.0 to Virtual Box 4.3.10. If you are migrating from a later version of Parallels you might be able to skip the first 7 steps.
- In the Parallels folder open Parallels Transporter
- Click Continue
- Select Express
- Select Virtual Machine
- Select Virtual Disk
- Choose your Parallels virtual machine
- Click Migrate
- Wait about an hour
- Find the .pvm file for your converted virtual machine.
- Right click and select ‘Show package contents’
- Right click on the .hdd file and select ‘Show package contents’
- Copy the .hds file to somewhere else
- Rename the .hds file to .hdd
- Open VirtualBox
- Create a new Virtual Machine with the .hdd file from above as the virtual disk.
- Run your virtual machine!
By default in OS X Mavericks the power button sends the computer to sleep, to change this:
1.Copy the following file on your desktop
2. Open it with a text editor
3. Search for the following keys (there are several):
<key>Sleep On Power Button</key> <integer>1</integer>
4. Turn them all to 0
5. Save the file
6.Put the com.apple.SystemPowerProfileDefaults.plist file on your desktop back in:
7. Enter your username and password when asked
8. Restart the computer
thanks to reddit.com/r/apple:
When opening a file in dreamweaver in OSX you get the following message:
“index.html is a locked files and can be viewed but not changed.”
1. To fix this open finder.
2. Right click on the file or folder.
3. Under sharing and permissions give everyone read and write access.
4. If its a folder click the cog and select ‘Apply to enclosed items’
In other operating systems it is easy to enter the path of a file or folder in the address bar however OS X finder does not have this by default.
To show a path box in OS X use: ⌘-Shift-G
This will popup a file path box you then enter input your path.
To remove an item from the other section of system preferences simply right click (or control click) an item and select remove.
In OS X
Click Skype in the menu bar and then preferences.
Click the Advanced Tab
Un-tick ‘Enable Mood Message Chat’
After restoring your Mac from timemachine Mail keeps asking you to enter your password and will not connect to your mail.
In the terminal when you run the command ‘codesign -vvv /Applications/Mail.app’ you get the result
‘/Applications/Mail.app: code or signature modified’
1. Download and install pacifist.
2. Put in your OS X Snow Leopard DVD and open Pacifist.
3. Open ‘Contents of OSInstall.mpkg’ > ‘Contents of EssentialSystemSoftware’ > ‘Contents of Mail.pkg’
4. Click Install.
5. Follow through Pacifist warnings.
6. Open Mail and your email should be working.
If you run ‘codesign -vvv /Applications/Mail.app’
You should get:
/Applications/Mail.app: valid on disk
/Applications/Mail.app: satisfies its Designated Requirement